What to wear
General Wardrobe Advice – Keep it simple!
- You’ll want to wear a sharp outfit that makes you look and feel your best. Choose an outfit you would wear to an interview, or a sales pitch meeting, or if you were being interviewed on television.
- Darker jackets are traditional for business headshots.
- For shirts, wear solids or shirts with non-distracting subtle patterns.
- For women, a bright colored shirt/blouse with a dark jacket is a very nice look.
- Don’t wear all-white unless it’s underneath another article of clothing. (Exception: for women, white jacket + darker shirt underneath)
- Avoid very light pastel colors unless they’re combined with dark clothing.
- Strong stripes and patterns make a fashion statement and will be noticed – only wear these if it’s your personal style.
- Avoid shiny clothing, turtlenecks.
- You may wear all black – usually best to have some color in your outfit.
- For inspiration on outfits, take a look at the photos in my portfolio and see what outfits capture your attention!
Bring a few tie options! This is one of the easiest changes we can make in your session if we need to add variety.
You’ll want to time any hair cuts, coloring, or styling so that you’ll look your best on the day of the photoshoot. You know your hair best! Keep in mind the date of our photoshoot when scheduling your hair appointments.
Your makeup should be light and basic, as if you were going to a nice function. In many cases, less makeup is better-we retouch. Bring your favorite lipstick if possible.
You should shave on the day of the session. We’ll retouch out any nicks or scratches if they happen to occur that morning. We can’t edit out stubble after the fact, so make sure your facial hair looks just right for the session.
Keep your jewelry simple. We want the focus to be on you! Anything that’s loud or trendy will date your portrait.
If you wear glasses every day, you should wear them in the photo. We can do photos with and without glasses if you like.
Note: if you have adaptive lenses that turn into your regular lenses into sunglasses, please let us know in advance so we can discuss your options. Adaptive lenses cannot be photographed outside.
Retouching and Editing
Every professional headshot you see has been retouched and edited in professional photography software such as Photoshop – yours will be too! Our retouching is honest and natural, and it doesn’t look fake. The editing process also ensures technical excellence for your image.
- Retouching will include the following, as needed:
- Blemish removal
- Teeth whitening
- Stray hair removal
- Reducing age lines
- Minimizing circles under the eyes
- Evening skin tone
Contact us now for any other questions or scheduling
Background style guide
Many different styles for your headshot are available, although they generally fall into three categories:
- Studio style
- Indoor environmental
Here are some samples for you to consider. If you’re looking for something else, just ask!